Tuesday, February 2, 2010

30 Years Ago Today...

...I said, "Yes."  Thirty years ago today my husband proposed to me.  He took me out to my favorite restaurant tonight and we shared a steak, some good conversation, and later, a Choco Cherry Lover's Blizzard from Dairy Queen!  (For those of you who know I'm dieting, I let Tim eat most of it...)  Right after we were seated by the waitress Tim excused himself.  I sat looking out over the water of the Puget Sound, it was glassy and peaceful.  When he returned he had a beautiful red rose for me and two cards.  It's always his tradition to give me two cards, whether it's my birthday, anniversary, or something special like today.  One is funny, one is serious.  This time both were serious, and very sweet.  Another couple approximately our age was sitting at the window seat next to us.  The wife smiled and asked, "How many years?"  Tim told her we were celebrating our engagement anniversary, 30 years.  Our actual 30th anniversary will fall on July 5th.  The gal told us that she and her husband had been married for 28 years.  Their friends tell them that they are an "odd lot because couples just don't stay married that long any more."  Sadly, this is true.

What is it that makes a marriage last?

Like all marriages, we've had our bumps, or as John Piper calls them, "cow pies."  But we've learned that marriage is not about our own perceived needs being met, it's about living for what is pleasing to the Lord.  When a husband and wife set aside their will for God's will, when they live the "you before me" definition of love, marriage is vibrant and wonderful.

Thank you Lord for blessing me with such a wonderful, godly, tender-hearted, patient, kind, loving, and thoughtful husband.

No comments: