Friday, November 20, 2009

For You Gals - 3

We were given a challenge the other night at our Titus 2 Bible Study.  When we are asked by our husbands to do something - respond immediately with the word, "Sure." 

Boy am I certainly guilty of a much lesser response at times, and so thankful for the Lord's forgiveness!

When the Lord asks His bride to do something what type of a response pleases Him, what does He expect?

"Yes Lord, with all of my heart!"

You say, "Now wait a minute, Christ is perfect and therefore what He asks (actually commands) us to do is always for our benefit.  My husband is not perfect!"

(The first thing we need to remember is, neither are we.)

We can put our marriage on display as a picture of the covenant keeping relationship between Christ and the church by joyfully doing what our husbands ask.  Is there a time when we should not say, "Sure?"  Of course, it is when our husbands ask us to do something that is contrary to the will of God.  Honestly answer this question...how many times has your husband asked you to do something that was sinful?  I can't think of one time in the nearly thirty years I've been married to my sweet husband that he has ever asked me to do something that would not please the Lord.  Are you worried about your husband taking advantage of you?  Another question for you...how likely is that to happen when he sees your gracious response to his requests each and every time you are given the opportunity to be his help meet?

Make it a habit to always respond with "sure" and then if you need to for some reason, you can make a gracious appeal.  Better yet, make it a habit to ask your husband if there is something you can do for him!

2 comments:

Kristen Wisen said...

Good counsel, Kathy.

Is your study based on a book or is someone (like you, maybe?) coming up with their own study on Titus 2???

Kristen

Kathy Hall said...

Nancy is heading it up. I have her notes from a Piper sermon and am writing posts based on what we talked about. I'm also adding thoughts of my own. The "sure" thing was Nancy's. I took it and ran with it some more.