Friday, November 6, 2009

"The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes..." - Ps. 19:8b

When my children were young and it was time for them to get ready for bed, my instructing them to go brush their teeth and put their pajamas on were not suggestions.  I expected them to obey, right away.   My daughter made me laugh several years ago when she began parenting.  She apologized for all the times that she did not respond with quick obedience.

The Bible is not a book of suggestions or kind thoughts or good ideas.  David tells us through the Holy Spirit that God's word is commandment.  These are the words of the Sovereign King of the universe who has complete authority over every life.  These words are to be authoritative in our lives, these words are to be obeyed.  We are commanded to repent.  We are even commanded to believe the gospel.  Every instruction that comes to us comes as a command.   

David says the commandment of the Lord is pure...or clear.  The word of God is crystal clear.  How God desires us to be obedient is not muddied up.  His commands are not pointless.  Being clear, we are responsible to obey.

Because God's word is clear it enlightens the eyes.  God's word sheds light on why there is death and sorrow in the world.  In God's word we are shown clearly the path to true and lasting joy.  Life makes sense to us because of the Word.

It was my desire that my children obeyed immediately.  As God's children, are we quick to the obedience that He expects of us?  The truth of the matter is that our record is not always 100% immediate obedience.  It's pretty incredible to me that in justifying me, God also looks at me as if I'd always obeyed.  Christ's record is my record.  Thank you Lord...thank you!

No comments: