Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Lighted Path

Last night as I was walking to my car after Bible study, I lost traction with my left foot when it hit a puddle.   It went out from under me, and then my right foot followed suit.  I kind of like hydroplaned on the wet grass.  Have you ever hydroplaned before?  In your car, I mean?  You virtually have no control.  I had virtually no control over my arms.  (My feet at this point were already a lost cause.)  My arms went flailing, my Bible flew in one direction and my purse in another.  I was so happy that no one was around.  I'm sure I looked like a cat that had been thrown off of a roof, upside-down - only cats land on their feet.  I ended up flat on my back with my Bible and purse in a heap somewhere down by my feet.  It was dark and I didn't see the puddle.  If I had, I'm sure I would have stepped around it.  Needless to say, every muscle in my body, from head to toe today, hurts.

Let's get right to the spiritual application.  God's Word is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path.  It  keeps us on a course that will guide us away from danger.  By the light of it we see our own infirmities.  It shows us our sin and leads us to its remedy.  It leads us to God and abundant life.  By it true and false doctrine may be discerned so we can escape falling into error and harm.  Walking through this world without it is like entering a cave in inky blackness and not seeing the precipice one hundred feet in.

If it's been awhile since you've spent time in God's Word, make some time today to be in it...don't venture any further without its illuminating glow!

1 comment:

Susie1NarrowRoad said...

Kathy, I'm sorry you "hydroplaned" and fell on your back, friend - but your lead-in to God's Word being a lamp to our feet and alight to our path is delightful! Great encouragement to either stay in or get into God's Word!