Friday, April 23, 2010

Choosing Gratitude - 4

I woke up this morning battling anxiety.  The Holy Spirit graciously pulled my thoughts to Philippians 4:6,7.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Here are Nancy Leigh DeMoss's thoughts on those verses in chapter 4...

"In every situation...prayer + thanksgiving = peace.  When prayer teams up with gratitude, when we open our eyes wide enough to see God's mercies even in the midst of our pain, and when we exercise faith and give Him thanks even when we can't see those mercies, He meets us with His indescribable peace. 


It's a promise.


Are you facing one or more chaotic, unsettled situations?  Is your soul weary from striving, stress, and strain?


There is peace.


God's peace is waiting for you just beyond the doors of deliberate gratitude.  But the only way to find it is to go there and see for yourself.  God's peace is one of the many blessings that live on the other side of gratitude."

I knew what I needed to do.  I needed to set my thoughts on the Lord and begin praising Him for all His gracious blessings.  I needed to turn a heart of faith to Him.  I needed to fully give my thoughts over to His sovereignty and care for me in all situations, with thanksgiving.  A troubled heart truly is transformed into a heart at peace through deliberate thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Dane said...

Thanks for the reminder! I needed this :)

Kathy Hall said...

It's something we all struggle with from time to time, isn't it Danish? When we set our eyes on Him and begin to recount to Him with thanksgiving all the blessings He's lavished on us, in the midst of our anguish, we are transported right into His arms of peace.

Dane said...

Yes indeed! I just need to trust in Him and rely on Him rather than trying to be the tough guy and do it all on my own.

Kathy Hall said...

Think of it this way, Danish. The Lion of Judah's peace will stand as a sentry before our hearts, between us and the world's commotion, as we draw near to Him in thanksgiving.