Thursday, September 24, 2009

Just a little excited!

Well, I have two reasons this morning to be excited.  The first one is because my husband is on the way to the airport to pick up our son Benjamin.  He's been in Alaska all summer, supervising the work crews that kept the Denali Park tour buses clean.  So, if you were in Alaska this summer and you took a bus into Denali National Park, your bus was probably cleaned by my son and one of his work crews!  He will be with us for a week and I will enjoy every second that he is here.  He is the life of the party, the one who keeps everyone in stitches...I just love him to death, he is so much fun to have around!




The other reason I am excited is because I am teaching Psalm 18 this morning to my ladies Bible study.  I will begin by giving the gals a couple of observations that John Piper makes regarding the Psalms.  The first one is  that the Psalms are meant to instruct us about God, man, and life.  They were written as songs and poetry so of course they stir up and carry the affections of the heart.  (That was observation number two by the way...)  But in that stirring up of our hearts we learn things about God, human nature, and how life is to be lived.

In this Psalm we learn that God is our Rock.  David composed this psalm after the Lord had given him deliverance from all his enemies, including Saul.  David's life was tumultuous, one in which he was pursued by enemies and one in which he took on the offensive and conquered his enemies.  David was able to look back over his life, at the times he dwelled among the crags to escape Saul and he compares God to such a place of concealment and security.  God is our firmness.

I visited Yosemite Valley this summer and as you drive into the Park, you come around a corner and all of a sudden the skyline is filled with El Capitan.  It is a HUGE slab of granite.  When I was preparing this lesson, my thoughts kept going back to El Capitan.  It is massive.  It is huge.  It is towering.  It is firm.  Such is our God. 



Praise Him for that today, won't you, like David did?

No comments: