Thursday, May 28, 2009

I was sent an email...

...which contained a list of short sayings written by a 90 year old woman. The comment was that they were full of wisdom. I definitely agreed with #5: "Pay off your credit cards every month." #40 was thought-provoking: "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab ours back." I liked #46: "Friends are the family that we choose for ourselves." I had trouble with #8 however, big trouble: "It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it." Being angry with God implies that we are questioning His sovereignty, and even His goodness. David said in Psalm 18:30 that God's way is blameless. If God is perfect and holy and His way is blameless, how can it be OK to get angry with Him? Paul told the believers in Rome: "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." He takes our bad and makes it work out for our good. It makes me want to fall on my face and thank Him for His amazing grace. I would have to disagree with #8. According to Ephesians 4:26 we are permitted the emotion of anger as long as we don't sin. I know of no scripture however which permits me to get angry with God. Besides, the wisest king who ever lived said that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

2 comments:

Marty said...

Yes, anger with God is making idols of ourselves. I made the mistake of blaming God for something tragic and instead of clinging to Him, I turned away. Coming back was hard...and humbling. For me faith is accepting that He is in charge and even though I can't see the big picture I trust Him, believing Him to be trustworthy.--Marty

Kathy Hall said...

Couldn't agree with your more Marty.