Saturday, March 13, 2010

Thomas Cranmer

Ok, so I learned something over the last twenty-four hours.  I love having an outlet for when my heart and mind collide with the truth of God's Word.  I also enjoy posting what I am learning and I enjoy passing along nuggets from the books I am reading.  I thought I would be at peace about taking a break.  Turns out, I was wrong, and yeah, I do love my little blogging family! 

A few more things from "The Power of Suffering" which I finished up yesterday.  It is a great book.  It certainly has enlarged my view of God and has given better understanding as to why God has included suffering in His plan for us.

In chapter six John MacArthur gives the account of the martyrdom of Thomas Cranmer.  He was first Protestant Archbishop of Canterbury and author of the First and Second Prayer Books and the Thirtynine Articles of the Church of England.  He experienced the overcoming grace and strength of the Holy Spirit at the end of his life, when he faced his greatest crisis.  He was burned at the stake because he would not renounce his Protestant beliefs.  An iron chain was used to fasten him to the stake.  The wood was kindled and the fire began to burn near him.  He stretched out his right hand and held it in the flames.  He never even flinched.  His hand burned before the fire touched the rest of his body.  He uttered no cry, he was so patient and steadfast.  He seemed to move no more than the stake to which he was bound.  He lifted up his eyes to heaven and he kept repeating, "This was the hand that wrote it [a previous disavowal of Protestantism, an action he had since reversed]."  As long as his voice allowed him he called his right hand, "unworthy."  He also said like Stephen, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" till the fury of the flames silenced him. 


Thomas Cranmer modeled for us that God gives grace that is unique to the requirements of our suffering and our suffering can never break our faith nor sever us from His love.

No comments: