Saturday, March 13, 2010

Preserving Unity and Peace

In Ephesians 4:1-3, Paul gives us four virtues that when lived out in the church body, unity and peace will be preserved.  I think we can say the same holds true in families as well.

"I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, entreat you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing forbearance to one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."
 
A lack of humility says I'm better than you. A lack of gentleness says I'll walk rough-shod over you.   Impatience says I don't have time for you.  A lack of forbearance says I am unwilling to tolerate any short comings you might have.  

Yes, unity and peace in the body of Christ (and families) is definitely broken when we lack these virtues. 

The humble person says I am sinful and flawed and in need of God's mercy and grace every moment of every day.  Humility says I see the log in my own eye.  Gentleness says I will treat you with tenderness and care.  Patience says I will slow down and take time for you.  I will listen to what you have to say and consider it as important because I know it is important to you.  Forbearance says I will throw a blanket over your short-comings.  I will not hold them against you.    

What unity and peace would reign in our churches and families if we consistently chose to walk in these virtues!

Love is the umbrella that covers all of these qualities.  Love is "you before me."  Christ modeled these virtues for us and has loved us perfectly with these virtues.  He submitted to the Father's will and put our needs before His own.  He treats us with tenderness and care.  He is very patient with us and oh the things He tolerates from us!  He commands that we do the same for others.  The great thing is that He has provided the Holy Spirit so we have the power to love as He loved.  It is possible, Beloved, and Jesus Christ is glorified in our churches and in our homes, when we choose to walk in that same love.

No comments: