Thursday, March 18, 2010

Proverbs 13:20

Last night I gave the Council Time message at Awana.  I talked about friendship with the kids. I began by having the kids imagine that their favorite uncle showed up at their house on the morning of their birthday.  He hands you an envelope.  In it are four tickets to Disneyland.  One is for you, the other three are for friends.  You go to school and everyone hears about your tickets.  All of a sudden you have friends that you never knew you had!  We call these friends "fair-weather friends."

I told the kids the Bible is a handbook on friendship.  We talked about what qualities to look for in a good friend.  What it means to be a good friend.  I shared verses that describe what foolish people are like.  Below are some of the verses "paraphrased." 
  •  A foolish person doesn't believe in God
  •  A foolish person thinks his mother is disgusting  (you should have seen the faces on this one!) 
  •  It is better to meet up with a mother bear robbed of her cubs than a fool in his foolishness
  • A foolish person likes to listen to himself talk to show other people how much he knows (or really doesn't know)
  • A foolish person loses his temper all the time  (I asked the kids if they knew anyone like this.  In hindsight, perhaps not the best question to ask.  Some nodded their heads yes but one little boy who was sitting right in front, just opposite of me said, "My mother.")
I read Proverbs 13:20 to them, "He who walks with wise man will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm."  Bottom line, a foolish person does not make for a good friend!

I ended with John 15:13 - "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."

Being a good friend is showing "you before me love", even to the point of giving up your life for that friend. And of course, Jesus is the best friend of all to have! 

2 comments:

Kristen Wisen said...

Darling post, Kathy! I loved the bear picture and I laughed out loud at the little boy's answer to your question! Children can be brutally honest, can't they? Those children are blessed to have you bring them simple and clear instructions from the Word. Thank you for your service with those kids...

Kathy Hall said...

I told the kids that I was going to give them a very simple, three word, definition of love. Of course you know that to be "you before me." You could really see the light bulbs go on. If that is the one point that sticks in their minds, I will be thrilled. (I hope my smile wasn't too obvious after that little boy's comment...)