Monday, December 14, 2009

Living Nativity - From Pastor Mark


Christmas came to life again last week during our eleventh and largest Living Nativity since 1998.  We praise the Lord for the good weather and record crowds this year of 3,829.  Months of preparation culminated as our cast of over two hundred characters plus many animals came together to depict the birth of Christ in Bethlehem .  This was all with a view to Christ's sacrifice on the cross, resurrection and second coming.  The Gospel was given out in many ways during the event.  Most guests were "blown away" by what they saw.   Some even came to tears.  Here are some observations from Mike Powers who was our Roman Centurion at the exit just after the manger scene...

"It has been such a blessing to be a part of this ministry to our community.  I have been the last person they see coming through by car. I am a Roman centurion.  I stopped almost every car.  I could see their faces light up as I walked toward their car.  I could tell they were happy that their experience wasn't over.  I would slowly scan the back seats and then lean towards the driver's window and ask in my best Buzz Light-Year voice, "Are there any Hittite hostages in this strange, mechanized chariot?"  I got all kinds of reactions, but mostly people really laughed.  Some husbands told me their wives were Hittite hostages or their kids, but no matter who they told me were hostages, I told them to take them with them!...which usually brought on more laughs.  As they drove off, everyone said at least, "Thank you."  Other comments were: "This was great!";  "This was amazing!"; "Outstanding!"; "This is so special!"; "Praise the Lord!"; "How many people are involved in this?"; "How long does it take to set all of this up?  Amazing!"; "We love this.  We come every year!"; "Merry Christmas!"; "Awesome, simply awesome!"  I praise God for the opportunity we have all had to minister to our community and I wanted to pass along these words of encouragement from the community back to all of you.  My favorite comment was from a guest who said "We have been to the real Bethlehem but this is way better."

Both modern day Bethlehem and Christmas have become commercialized.  However, our goal was to depict the event as it really happened in a small, out of the way village during the time of Roman census.  It was all free.  Thanks again to all our workers and our guest helpers.  All were willing to brave the December cold, even our 5 Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus couples, to make Christmas come to life. Thanks to all who donated over 150 dozen cookies, dozens of gallons of cider, and many other refreshments.   Our previous record attendance was 2,536 - last year.  But this year 3,829 either drove or walked through, or both, making it our largest year ever!

1 comment:

Kristen Wisen said...

Praise the Lord - what a wonderful ministry!