Monday, January 14, 2013

Identity

If I am seeking to get my identity from you, I will watch you too closely, listen to you too intently, and need you too fundamentally.  I will ride the roller coaster of your best and worst moments and everything in between.  And because I am watching you too closely, I will become acutely aware of your weaknesses and failures.  I will become overly critical, frustrated, disappointed, hopeless, and angry.  I will be angry not because you are a sinner but because you have failed to deliver the one thing I seek from you, identity.  But none of us will ever get the well-being that comes from knowing who we are from our relationships.  Instead, we will be left with damaged relationships filled with hurt, frustration, and anger.

Paul Tripp

By nature we are worshippers.  What we worship defines our identity.  What we worship/identify with tells us where we have put our hope.

Pursue Jesus.  He is pure and without sin.  He is constant.  We were created to worship Him alone.  Pursuing anyone or anything else to build identity and self worth, is sin.


No comments: