Monday, August 6, 2012

Psalm 121

This psalm is a Song of Ascents, sung by Israel as they made their way up to the temple to worship.

LOOK UP, THE LORD IS MY KEEPER

The Lord keeps us; He doesn't discard us or regift us - we are precious to Him and He knows exactly what He is going to do with each and everyone of His children.

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From where shall my help come?
My help comes from the LORD, 
Who made heaven and earth.  1,2

God is my Creator - I will look to Him.

Finding temporary happiness in a circumstance can lead to a lifetime of pain.  Look to Jesus, finding joy in Jesus brings peace in difficult situations.  He is the only One who can fill us.

He will not allow your foot to slip;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber or sleep.  3,4

God is my Guardian - I am secure.

His eyes are always on us.  He always holds us firmly.  We are never out of His sight and care.

The LORD is your keeper;
The LORD is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.  5,6

God is my Protector - I will not fear.

God is over us, shading and covering us continually, during and through our difficulties.  We don't need to fear anything, even what we can't see.  Nothing happens to us that God doesn't allow.

The LORD will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul.
The LORD will guard your going out and your coming in
From this time forth and forever.  7,8

God is my Sustainer - I will endure.

From today and onward into eternity, God is protecting.  Satan cannot take us back.  He may be given the power to take our names or our lives, but it will only usher us into the arms of Jesus.  Our lives, even when not perfect, will be a reflection of what God wants.  Sin has no power over us.

When we look to the hill of the Lord, 
we see Jesus, 
our Risen Savior, 
our Creator, 
our Guardian, 
our Protector, 
our Sustainer.  

Look to Jesus, set your eyes on Him, and keep your gaze There. 

The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir - Psalm 121
     
Thank You, Jesus, for Your guarding, protecting, sustaining love...

No comments: