Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Eyes Have It

I was at the Department of Licensing on Wednesday afternoon because I needed to renew my driver license.  My number was R506.  When I arrived, they were at R486.  (I am pretty sure R stood for "Renew.")  People also had "A" numbers, "O" numbers, and "N" numbers.  (I'm not sure what those other letters stood for, although I think the "N" could have been for new licenses.)  Twenty people were ahead of me with the R number.  This was going to be at least an hour wait, if they took five minutes for each person with an R number.  Good thing I brought a book with me to read, except - the DOL is an interesting place to people watch...

I looked out on the sea of humanity before me.  Two high school age looking girls were smiling and laughing, playing with their cell phones while they chatted with each other, probably texting.  A young man in army fatigues listened as his wife described something to him.  His eyes caught glimpse of a pretty girl, then they went back to his wife.  One of the DOL workers helping those of us holding numbers, looked like she'd had a long day.  She could barely muster a smile with each new face who came to her window.  The boy sitting next to me exclaimed to his mom that she had big arm muscles. "That is fat, Dear," came the reply, and without skipping a beat she continued her conversation with her ex-husband on her cell phone.  Many faces contained eyes that looked weary, worried, or uninterested in what was going on around them.  They would rather be anywhere else but where they were.  Every one's attention was scattered, well except for the screen on which your number with the letter popped up.  I couldn't help but notice the diversity of ethnicity represented.  All these different people focused on different things.  What were their cares?  How many of them knew the Lord?  Were any of them thinking about the Lord?  Then my thoughts went to Revelation 7 and the great multitude described there, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues.  This multitude stood before the throne...

...and their focus was in one place...on the Lamb in the center of the throne.

They will be crying out with a loud voice these words of worship and praise-

"Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!"  

The Lord will be getting all the attention...We'll be praising Him for our deliverance from sin and Satan's wrath.  And the angels and the elders and the four living creatures will say, "Amen!"  - Also blessing Him with praise, worship, and honor...

When faith is sight, it will always be all about Him!

(Be sure and give Him some undivided attention today...)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! I'll bet the Day of the LORD is an interesting place to watch people. And so many Day of the LORD workers, too!

-Darrin