Monday, August 30, 2010

"God Should Fix My Problems"

The book I am currently reading is Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.  I just finished the second chapter - Lies Women Believe About God.  Nancy lists six:
  • God is not really good
  • God doesn't love me
  • God is just like my father
  • God is not really enough
  • God's ways are too restrictive
  • God should fix my problems 
The last one caught my attention, probably because I have thought at one time or another this was true.  We battle Satan's lies with the Truth.  Here is the Truth:
  •  Life is hard.  Romans 8:21-22 - "...that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God."
  • God is more concerned about glorifying Himself and changing me than about solving all my problems.  2 Corinthians 4:17 - "For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison."
  • God has an eternal purpose He is fulfilling in the midst of my problems.  Romans 5:3,4 - "And not only this, we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope..."  James 1:2-4 - "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
  • God wants to use my problems as part of His sanctifying process in my life.  Job 23:10 - "But He knows the way I take; When He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold."
  • No matter what problem I am facing, God's grace is sufficient for me.  2 Corinthians 12:9 - "And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness."
We love it when our circumstances are easy, don't we?  Problems come our way in all different shapes and sizes because we live in a fallen world.  Someday life will not be hard.  But for right now, everything exists to serve God's purposes.  Even our problems.  The Psalmist said that is was good for him to be afflicted.  It caused him to learn God's Word.

God doesn't always grant relief from our problems because He knows hurt is good for us.

Hmm...I really like the second bullet.  I think I should make it a refrigerator magnet...

4 comments:

Kristen Wisen said...

Are you saying it's not all about me? I'm so disappointed...

It's a good book, isn't it, Kathy? Hits right between the eyes at times...

Kathy Hall said...

It does hit right between the eyes... Been doing some house cleaning, and I'm not even halfway through...

Did you get the twins moved ok? Cute pic of Alex...

Kristen Wisen said...

Yes, all in, safe and sound. Very large room, they are not in a suite, so it means they don't share a bathroom with another room, AND...they have air conditioning...really roughing it...

Kathy Hall said...

I finished the book. Any of you gals out there who haven't read it, it is a must read...