Saturday, October 24, 2009

Unexpected Blessings and a New Tradition

While my husband and I were sitting chatting today...he was feeding our grandson Daniel his bottle...the Fed Ex guy showed up and backed into our driveway.  (Have you ever noticed how guys always seem to back into driveways and parking spots?)

"Are you expecting anything?", I asked.

"Nope," was the answer.

I opened the screen on the porch for the driver and he hoisted two large boxes up the steps and dropped them at our doorway.  "Hmm....", I mused.  I packed the boxes into the house and proceeded to dig for the kitchen scissors.  I sliced open the top box and pulled out a curious looking machine with the word "Keurig" emblazoned across the top.  I recollected immediately where I'd seen one before and knew just exactly what they were for - making that perfect cup of hot chocolate!  (My husband would say "coffee!")  I tore into the other box and it was filled with an assortment of hot beverages for the Keurig to work its brewing magic.  My husband and I both looked at each other and just grinned.  I removed the old, itty bitty 4-cup "Mr. Coffee" from its spot on the kitchen counter and replaced it with our new, shiny "Keurig".  I then proceeded to make the best tasting hot chocolate I'd had in a long time.  When Annie came to pick up Daniel I told her to look at my kitchen counter.  Her eyes twinkled and a wide smile broke across her face...Then she chirped,  "Hey, let's start a new tradition.  Instead of going to Starbucks after I pick you up for church, I'll come a bit early and we'll have a "Keurig!"

"I think it's a great idea Annie!"     

The Lord in His kindness sends those unexpected blessings through others who I think love putting those unexpected smiles on our faces!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kathy-

Larger vehicles and also delivery vehicles many times have a protocol established whereby they must back into a driveway. The reason being is that it is safer to back into and pull out forward into the street than having to back out into the street. Many times you don't realize if there is a place to turn around in the driveway so it's safer to back in knowing you won't have to back out.

We (USPS) must back into a parking spot if it is impossible for us to pull out forward of that parking spot. That way we will never back into another car. There are so many blind spots in larger vehicles and plus we are driving all day, it just makes sense after you think about it.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

-The Orange Mailman

P.S. So females have to do it too.

Kathy Hall said...

Darrin, my husband was a truck driver and he always backs into driveways and parking spaces. It is a safety issue like you said. You guys (and gals) do a great job out there, watching out for our safety! Thanks! (It was to put a smile on a couple of my reader's faces...I guess you could call it an "inside comment".)