Thursday, August 4, 2011

Fulfillment of Matthew 23:39

Just before Jesus gives instruction to us regarding His return, He turns to His beloved Jerusalem, lamenting over her with these words, because of Israel's rejection of Him as the Messiah - 

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it!  How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!  See, your house is left to you desolate.  For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.' "
Matthew 23:37-39

Here is Psalm 118:19-29.  You are going to recognize a verse also found 1 Peter 2.  I've highlighted it in pink.  In purple, you will see the same words from Matthew 23.  Highlighted in blue are some very familiar words to you, also.

"Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the LORD.  This is the gate of the LORD; the righteous shall enter through it.  I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation.  The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.  This is the Lord's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.  This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.  Save us, we pray, O LORD!  O LORD, we pray, give us success!  Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD!  We bless you from the house of the LORD.  You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God; I will extol you.  Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His steadfast love endures forever!"

Let me cut right to the chase.  I think Israel is going to sing Psalm 118, as she is being led by Jesus who is approaching the temple.  This will be after He has destroyed His enemies at Armageddon.  He is gathering Israel, which He had longed to do at His first coming, and is leading her to the temple, or perhaps they are already gathered around.  While everyday is a day we can rejoice in because it is a day that the Lord has made and we witness His glory and majesty in a myriad of ways each day, the day the nation of Israel blesses Jesus is truly going to be a momentous, wonderful, awe-inspiring day.  Jesus, the stone that Israel rejected, will become the cornerstone of the spiritual house, in which Israel and the church will be a dwelling for God. (Eph. 2:20-22) Jesus will be approaching and entering the courtyard to the literal house of God as this unfolds.  The nation of Israel will be rejoicing in her Messiah.  Her scales of unbelief will have fallen off.  She will have been given her new and believing heart.  She will truly recognize and give Jesus glory for His goodness and salvation and love that never failed for her, and that will continue on into eternity.  I cannot fully grasp with my mind just what will be happening here, but it causes my heart to rejoice, and I sure am hoping for a front row seat... 

(Thanks to my blogging friend, Orange, for the inspiration of this post...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, God is showing us the same things!

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

-The Orange Mailman