Thursday, July 30, 2009

Alturas, CA

I grew up camping every summer with my parents, two brothers, and two sisters. Our favorite place to "level the trailer" and "pitch the pup tent" was Yosemite. We'd usually spend a week camping in the valley and then head up to the high country for the second week. A favorite childhood camping memory is laying in a bed of needles with my eyes looking up towards the top of Glacier Point, watching the fire falls. All onlookers would "ooooooo" and "awwwwwww" as the burning embers were pushed off the top of that huge granite slab and make its descent to the valley floor, leaving a trail of sparks and flames. I guess you could call it Yosemite's version of a fireworks show. It is my understanding the fire falls have been stopped due to the outcry of the environmentalists. Such a shame. I guess they thought they were hurting the environment in some way. (The Lord's fireworks during the day of the Lord are going to be so much more spectacular and destructive. There will be absolutely no comparison to what man thinks he's doing to the earth as compared to what the Lord will do.)

Last night my sister, my mom, and I pulled into Alturas, CA. We are on our way to Mammoth Lakes and a family reunion. Alturas is a sleepy town in Northern California where the sidewalks are rolled up at 5 pm and the restaurants play country music and some of the waitresses take three syllables to say a one syllable word. It is north of Yosemite by approximately 300 miles. As I write this it is Friday. On Sunday the family is scheduled to make a trip up into the high country of Yosemite for the day. We've a picnic lunch planned at Tenaya Lake where you will see some of the world's bluest water. It's rather cold as well.

I'm looking forward to Sunday as I treasure memories of family picnics at Tenaya Lake in my youth...however this time it will be a huge gathering which will include my grandchildren as well!

I'll post some pictures when I get home...

2 comments:

Jim G. said...

Kathy,

Your Alturas, CA post brings back childhood memories for me. My parents divorced around 1970 when I was just 6.

My Dad would sometimes take my older sister and me to Alturas when he had us for visitation.

I especially remember going there during the summer months. One of my uncles had a large ranch north of Alturas. Another aunt and uncle lived on a ranch nearby. I loved going to both of these ranches because that is where I learned to shoot the .22 rifle my dad bought me.

I also remember looking for Indian arrow heads. There is plenty of obsidian rock in that area which is what the arrow heads were made of. Anyway, lots of good memories.

It was also on a warm summer night at my Uncle's ranch that I remember seeing a shooting star for the first time. It's wonderful how many stars we can see when we get away from the bright city lights.

Kathy Hall said...

Hey Jim,

I love Northern California. You probably know where Lake Almanor is? We camped there a couple of years as well.

Today we are headed up into the high country in Yosemite. Should be a really fun day. My husband enjoyed your comment about your dad teaching you to shoot the .22 rifle he bought for you.

The sunsets here have been spectacular.

Good to hear from you. I hope your family is well, especially that sweet little guy of yours.

Kathy